On today’s episode of the Premium Hoops Podcast, Mark is joined by Paul Garcia of Project Spurs to talk about the future of the San Antonio Spurs, empty calories scoring, DeMar DeRozan’s player option, LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Gay, and much more. On the second half of the pod, Mark is joined by Corban Ford, Evan Zaucha, and Cody Houdek for a round table to talk about the value of score first players at varying levels; continuing the empty calories discussion.
- Derrick White’s extension
- Derrick White’s proliferation from beyond the arc in the bubble
- Too many mouths to feed in the guard/wing rotation
- Dejounte Murray’s value as an offensive player
- Why didn’t Dejounte Murray and Derrick White start together?
- What is the direction of the Spurs?
- Jakob Poeltl’s restricted-free agency
- Trading LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMar DeRozan, and Rudy Gay
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s three-point shooting revelation; will it continue?
- Will Gregg Popovich lead a rebuild?
- Bringing back Bryn Forbes
- Keldon Johnson love
- Rudy Gay’s growth as a Spur and his tradeability
Empty Calories Scoring:
- What is an empty calorie player?
- Monta Ellis
- Collin Sexton vs. CJ McCollum example and discussion
- Cody pushes back on everyone
- Evan Fournier
- Zach Lavine
- the importance of passing big men
- Corban and Evan talk Wiseman
- is Melo empty calories?
- Chris Bosh appreciation
- 2011 Mavs were good
- and much more!
Be sure to follow Paul’s work at Project Spurs! They have some great soverage and the San Antonio Spurs will be an exciting team to watch in the off-season. This was a blast of a pod carried over in the second half. Some fantastic basketball theory and thought exercises.
Enjoy the pod!
Be sure to Rate and Review Premium Hoops on Apple Podcasts!
Credit to BRBeats Podcast Music @BenRauman